Re: 5.8 GHz PtP Backhaul Options

Dave Hewlett

Gentlemen,

I’m glad to see we are starting to see some coordinating amongst areas to interconnect. That is exactly what we were aiming for when we started this group.

I do have a point to add to your discussion concerning terrain. While it is true in theory that trees will reek havoc with your signal, in Hampton they found that in the 5gig band, if your end points are directional (i.e. dishes) the ERP will make a significant improvement, and in some cases, negate the effect of trees.

One of the backbone links (before one end got hit by lightning) connected a hospital with the eoc. It did this through a fairly dense expanse of trees.

The real world does not always fit the nice neat equations so the best thing to do is give it a try.

73

Dave WA4OPE

On Apr 9, 2020, at 10:34 PM, Ken Jamrogowicz via groups.io <ke2n@...> wrote:

If you are not familiar with the 'heywhatsthat" tool - the coverage pattern is for a receive location six feet off the ground - roughly the location of a human eyeball.  For specific locations, you put in the coords, click parameters and put in the height of the other end (AGL or ASL).

For your Matthews location, a path is indeed possible - although it has a bit of a problem - depending on the height at the other end(see attached).

The "pinch point" is actually covered by a lot of trees, so you have to clear those as well as the dirt there (second image attached).

Looking at the satellite map, I see quite a tall tower at the Matthews end, so I am guessing you are quite high on that tower and thus I would expect it to work.

I am too far north to reach down your way.  "Assets" around here tend to be tall buildings where people are employed and various places where there are already VHF/UHF repeaters (hospitals, water tanks, hotels).   I can suggest you look in a repeater directory.

73

Ken

<matthews 2020-04-09 22_17_28-HeyWhatsThat.png>
<pinch2020-04-09 22_22_58-Greenshot image editor.png>

Join main@VAAREDN.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.